Recently, a friend of mine became aware of a job opportunity at his company and thought of me as a qualified candidate. A few text messages later, I was sending over my resume and later that afternoon I received a phone call from a recruiter. After two informational phone interviews, I should hear by the end of the week if I made it to the face to face interview.
I am asking you if I should really move forward with the interview process. The position would be in the private sector, at least a ten thousand dollar raise, and a lot more paper pushing. I have never worked in the private sector, so that would be a change of pace for me. I am making an educated guess that I wouldn’t have as much time for blogging. The work doesn’t seem that exciting to me, but like I said it would be a step up. I have only been at my current position for the past six months and am pretty comfortable. I like the people, it’s flexible and I hope that more challenging opportunities within my current department arise (not sure how likely that will be). I don’t want to job hop too frequently, as that can look negatively on my job timeline. Even if I was to get a raving review at my current position, I highly doubt even a five thousand dollar raise would be considered at my annual review. Although an extra ten thousand would be a huge help to paying off debt more quickly and comfortably. I do have a lot on my plate already to start at a new job would be another thing to add on my already long list.
As you can see I am oh so enthused about this new potential opportunity. I am flattered that this opportunity has landed itself in front of me and that my friend thought of me as a good candidate. I know I can do the job, but I am not sure if it’s smart to jump around so quickly after just starting a new position in April. Do you think I should ride along with the interview process and see what happens. If I don’t get offered anything, that’s cool I still have a job I am happy with. If I do then I would have to do some more thinking. Or do you think I should call the recruiter and let them know it’s not a good time for me to pursue a new opportunity, but thank you for thinking of me. I am really grateful to be a position like this and have this “problem”, which is why I want to be thoughtful about moving forward with any decision.
What would you do?
photo credit to Death to the Stock Photo
Starting Debt: -$25,684
Current Debt: -$10,266